FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How is Children’s Yoga Books aligned with Young Yoga Masters?
Answer: Janet Williams is delighted to be partnering with Young Yoga Masters. Janet is a Co-founder and Co-Director of the Young Yoga Masters Registered Children’s Yoga School (RCYS). Janet is also a Faculty Member of the school.
Q. When are your next Teacher Training Courses and what is the cost?
Answer: To see the full schedule of the next teacher training courses and costs please go to our training page. There is space in the course unless it is indicated that the course is full.
Q. Do I receive a Certificate for the Yoga Teacher Training course?
Answer: Yes – Each participant in the training will receive a signed certificate. If someone wants more information or to verify your training certificates or the full 95 Hour Certification program, you can refer them to the information on our training page.
Q. What’s different about this Kids Yoga Teacher Training?
Some of the things that set this course apart are outlined below. We are all about helping teachers foster a love of yoga in children:
1. Experience with Real Kids: Each Module has 3 hours of yoga classes with real kids in attendance. One of those hours, you will observe the expert Faculty teachers in action. In the other two hours you will get experience and practice teaching kids, along with the other students in the training. You will follow your lesson plan, and go with the flow with the changes as needed. You will know exactly what it is like to teach yoga to kids. In the 95 Hour Certification, a full 18 of those hours will involve teaching real children. This feature gives students a chance to experience what yoga with children is really like and gain confidence to go out there and teach. You will complete your Certificate and have teaching experience to put on your resume.
2. Real Yoga In a Ready-to-Teach Curriculum: You get a ready to teach curriculum to get you started. This curriculum is based on real yoga themes as well as playful games and fun activities. It shows you how to teach real yoga themes to kids in a way kids love! Students often comment that they receive more thorough and complete material in this training, than they receive in their 200 hour yoga training. You will see how rewarding it is to teach tools to help children manage the stress of modern life. You will learn how to make your own lesson plans too.
3. Follow Up Support: Most courses end and the student is left to navigate their teaching on their own. With this course, you get follow up and ongoing training with our website and Newsletter Articles and Updates. You can stay in touch with your trainers and other kids yoga teachers after the course is over on our Graduates Facebook Group. For those looking for additional support for launching their business, or for those who feel overwhelmed and are looking for guidance, or for those who would like help with making their content on their website or marketing materials look and sound more professional and organized, Janet provides "Goal Setting Coaching" & "Content Review and Editing Consulting".
4. No Hidden Costs - We Hold Nothing Back: Our goal is to create kids yoga teachers. Your registration includes printed manuals, yoga cards, posters, books and eye-catching tools. We show you our lesson plans, our tips for what works and what doesn’t work, and give lots of stories and examples from years of teaching kids yoga. Because at the end of the training all that matters is you can take what you’ve learned and teach children yoga. When you review your manuals years after the training, you won't have to remember what was covered in the training - because it is all in the manuals! Many students say the materials they receive in this training is more thorough and complete than what they received in their 200 hour yoga training.
5. Registered Training: Young Yoga Masters is a Registered Children’s Yoga School (RCYS), which means our 95 hour training was reviewed and got the seal of approval from outside experts at Yoga Alliance.
Q. Can I take just one Certificate/Module or do I have to take them all? Do they have to be taken in a certain order?
Answer: You don't have to take all 6 certificates. Each Certificate (16 Hour Module) can be taken individually, and we encourage you to start teaching what you have learned right away.
If you choose to take more than 1 Certificate, you can take them in any order because each Certificate course stands on its own.
• 1 Certificate = 16 Contact Hours of Training
• 6 Certicates =96 Hours of Training and meets the 95 Hour Yoga Alliance Registered Children's Yoga School Training Requirements
For more details on what is required to Register with Yoga Alliance, see the next question.
Q. What are the Different Levels of Certification? What is the Difference between havig a Certificate and Being a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher?
Answer: At this time, anyone may teach Yoga because Yoga is an unregulated industry. This means, unlike a massage therapist or other such fields, the government does not require you to have a license of any sort to teach yoga (please double check if this is the case in your area because some governments have made movements to change the requirements). However, there are various levels of certification and yoga industry standards.
Levels of Certification:
Weekend or Module Certificate: Most Kids Yoga Teacher Trainings give a Certificate of completion at the end of the course, no matter how long it is, to recognize that you have completed their training. We issue a Certificate for each Module of training that you complete so that you can start teaching right away. Having a Certificate for a Module in our training represents 13 contact hours of training plus 3 hours of Practicum (practice teaching) with real kids, for a total of 16 hours. Many of our graduates feel confident to teach with a weekend training. Others want more training before they start to approach daycares and studios to teach.
95 Hour Certificate: The yoga industry standard for children's yoga schools, set by Yoga Alliance is 95 Hours of Kids Yoga Teacher Training meeting specific training requirements. Young Yoga Masters is a Yoga Alliance Registered Children's Yoga School. Completion of all 6 Modules in any order will Certify you as a Children's Yoga Teacher with Young Yoga Masters, a Yoga Alliance Registered Children's Yoga School (RCYS). You get a 95 Hour Children's Yoga Teacher Certificate with both Young Yoga Masters seal and our Yoga Alliance Registered Children's Yoga School seal (as shown in the graphic below) on the Certificate when you complete the training.
Yoga Alliance Registered Children's Yoga Teacher (RCYT) As per the Yoga Alliance website to become a RCYT you must have 200 Hours Training with a Registered Yoga School AND 95 Hours Training with a Registered Children's Yoga School AND then teach 30 hours of children's yoga on your own, after completed your RCYS. The 200 Hour Training and the 95 Hour Training may be taken in any order. Each Module you complete counts towards your 95 Hour Certificate. For those wishing to deepen their practice we also offer the Ambassador Yoga 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training for adults.
Q. What do you need to teach kids yoga?
This depends on a number of factors for you to consider when choosing a Kids Yoga Teacher Training:
If you plan to make teaching yoga your full time career, you may feel more legitimate if you work towards getting the Yoga Alliance standards. Some employers look for Yoga Alliance Teachers when they hire, while others just want to see you deliver a great class.
You may also need a minimum number of hours training to get insurance as a teacher, and the number of hours varies from one company to another, so check with insurance companies where you live to see how many hours are needed.
We recommend: Ultimately, the number of hours training you get is up to you. However, if you are serious about teaching kids yoga, we recommend you start by working towards a 95 Hour Certificate. Whether you do it by taking individual Modules over a few years or all in one year or take a Summer Certification, it is up to you. However, you can rest assured that each module you take, will count towards your 95Hour Certificate. You will not have to start at the beginning to get it like you would with a training that is not a RCYS. We recommend starting with our Registered Childrens Yoga School because you will save money by avoiding trainings that don't count. You will feel good knowing that each module you take counts towards recognition as a RCYT.
Q. I have taken a training course with another school or company, can I count these hours towards the 95 Hour Certificate?
Answer: Yoga Alliance requires that the full 95 Hour Training be taken with one school to ensure all the educational category requirements are fulfilled. If the training hours are from various schools there is no easy way to assure this, so unfortunately hours from another school cannot be counted in the Young Yoga Masters 95 Hour Certification. Each Certificate is organized to covere all the educational categories required by Yoga Alliance so only these certficates can count towards your 95 Hour Certificate.
Q. Can I take this training if I am NOT a Yoga Teacher? Are there any prerequisites to take the course?
Answer: Each module is open to everyone. If you have very little yoga experience, we especially recommend you start with:
What I See, I Can Be Module and/or Yoga Literacy Module . Both of these modules have a special focus on to start teaching yoga to kids and how to do yoga poses. The other modules focus on a variety of facets of kids yoga teacher training including special needs, family yoga, moms and tots, teen yoga, yoga camps and anatomy for kids. Modules are open to everyone, including the full 95 Hour Certification.
It is recommended, but not mandatory, that you have attended 40 or more adult yoga classes in any style of yoga. This will give you a good foundation and knowledge of the poses from peronsal experience and will make it easier to teach yoga to children.
Q. Is this 95 hour Program registered with Yoga Alliance?
Answer: Yes, this program is registered with Yoga Alliance, USA. Yoga Alliance is the original organization that began bringing all the schools of yoga together to establish yoga teaching standards in 1999. It is an International Organization. We chose to register with this organization because it is a non-profit organization with a mission to help spread the power of yoga one person at a time. Most other "Yoga Alliance" organizations in other countries came much later and operate for profit.
Being a Yoga Alliance Registered Children's Yoga School means our 95 hour training was reviewed and got the seal of approval from the outside experts at Yoga Alliance. The training fulfills all standards in these categories as required by Yoga Alliance:
• General Background in the Specialty Area (12 hour)
• Techniques Training/Practice (20 hours)
• Teaching Methodology (15 hours)
• Anatomy and Physiology (10 hours)
• Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Children’s Yoga Teachers (12 hours)
• Practicum (18 hours)
• Remaining Hours (8 hours)
• Total: 95 hours
Please Note: As per the Yoga Alliance Website: To become a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCYT) you must be an active Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) who has completed a 200 hour Adult yoga program and who has also completed a 95 Hour Children's Yoga training that meets Yoga Alliance standards. After completing the 95 Hour Training, graduates must also teach 30 hours of children's Yoga before they may register as Registered Children’s Yoga Teachers (RCYT). These hours of children’s Yoga must be taught after graduating from a RCYS.
To request that this training become qualified for Continuing Education Credits in your profession or field, please contact us at info@ChildrensYogaBooks.com
Q. Will I be able to teach the children in my classroom or daycare room as part of a circle or Daily Physical Education (DPA)? Can I teach in a daycare, school, or yoga studio with this training?
Answer: With each Module you complete you will gain new tools to teach kids yoga. The manuals include instructions to safely and easily introduce yoga to children, regardless of your yoga experience. We have many school teachers, ECE's Educational Assistant teachers (EA), school teachers, and yoga instructors start using the yoga games and activities after one weekend of kids yoga teacher training.
Q. Can I teach kids yoga as a Kids Yoga Teacher with this training?
Answer: Some teachers feel ready to teach after one weekend of training and some teachers need all six modules to boost their confidence. Each person is different. With each Module you complete, you will gain experience teaching with actual kids in the class, and by the end of the six modules you will have 18 hours of practicum experience teaching real kids. This is usually enough for teachers to go out and start teaching their own classes.
Some yoga studios may require that you have a 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training certificate, although some do not. We advise you check with each organization or insurance company as to their standards.
W suggest you check for regulations on teaching yoga in the country, province, state or area where you want to teach as well to be sure no government regulations have been implemented for yoga teachers.
Q. Can I take the course if I am pregnant or have an injury or cannot fully do the yoga poses for another reason? Is there a lot of yoga in the training?
Answer: Approximately 40% – 60% of each training Module is spent doing yoga as we cover the curriculum, yoga poses, songs, and games. The time spent in a yoga pose with a child are significantly less than the time you would normally hold a pose with an adult.
If you have a situation that does not allow you to do the yoga poses, you can observe this part of the training. No one should do yoga when it will aggravate their current condition and it is our goal to make our yoga inclusive to students. You will still be able to teach kids yoga if you cannot do the yoga yourself. You can use the pictures provided in the manuals and curriculum to illustrate the poses to children.
Q. Is there a minimum age limit for taking the Kids Yoga Teacher Training Course?
Answer: There is no set minimum age for the course. So far, the youngest participant in the course was 14 years old. She took the course to use for her babysitting jobs. If a young person is interested in yoga and feels they can complete the full Module and/or Full Certification, then they are welcome to attend. Those taking the course who are under 18 will require a release form signed by their guardian.
Q. What is the Refund/Cancellation/ Missed Hours Policy for the Kids Yoga Teacher Training?
Refund Policy for Individual Modules
• If a participant needs to withdraw their registration more than two weeks prior to the start of the Module a full refund will be given minus a $150 registration fee. This fee is made up of a $50 registration fee and a $100 credit toward any future Module offered on the Childrens Yoga Books schedule.
• Any credits must be used within 18 months. Please note, Modules may or may not be returning to your area so you may have to travel to use the credit.
• If the withdrawal takes place during the two weeks prior to the start of the course, an additional $50 late withdrawal fee will apply.
• Once the course begins, no refunds will be given.
Refund Policy for 95 Hour Children’s Yoga Teacher Certification
•Non-Refundable Deposit: The $500 deposit for the Summer Certification Course is non-refundable. Please be sure of your schedule when you register. The deposit may be transfered (please see transfer fees), if notice is given at the time that the remaining balance is due.
•All Other Training: If a participant needs to withdraw their registration more than two weeks prior to the start of the first Module a full refund will be given minus the $150 registration fee.
• If the withdrawal takes place during the two weeks prior to the start of the first Module, the registration fee paid minus $250 will be refunded.
• Withdrawal after the first Module: The registration fee paid minus $700 will be refunded.
• Withdrawal after the second Module: The registration fee paid minus $1100 will be refunded. No refunds after the third Module begins.
• With Two Weeks Notice of Transfer: If a participant needs to transfer their registration to a future training more than two weeks prior to the start a $50 transfer admin fee will be charged.
• With Less Than Two Weeks Notice: If the transfer takes place during the two weeks prior to the start of the course, an additional $50 late transfer fee will apply for a total of $100 transfer fee.
Certification Requirements and Missed Hours
A total of 95 Hours of Training must be completed for full certification and to meet Yoga Alliance requirements of a Registered Childrens Yoga School:
• The 6 Weekend Modules in Toronto, Ontario, Canada consist of 95 Contact Hours and require no other training to complete the full certification.
• The 12 Day Summer Certification in Burlington, Ontario, Canada consists of 95 Contact Hours and requires no other training to complete the full certification.
• The 10 Day Summer Intensive (locations to be announced) consists of 87 Contact Hours (face-to-face training) and 8 non-contact hours to be completed outside the training. Students are required to attend all contact hours to complete this training.
If a student has to miss hours due to unforeseen circumstances, they can make up those hours in the following ways:
• A maximum of 3 hours per Module can be made up through private sessions with one of the Faculty (Private sessions are available at $108 per hour + hst).
• For more than 3 hours missed in one Module, the student will be required to re-do the whole module at a cost of $150 + hst to repeat the module.
• For those taking the 95 Hour Certification – up to 8 contact hours (with a maximum of 3 hours per module) can be made up through completing and submitting a “Self Study” for review by the Faculty. To submit a Self-Study assignment an additional fee of $275 + hst will apply.
Sign up Here for the Self Study Assignment
Course Cancellation Policy:
We reserve the right to cancel any course that does not have sufficient enrollment. Any cancellation by Children’s Yoga Books and the course hosts will be made at the time of the early registration deadline for that course. A full refund for registration will be given in the event of a course cancellation by Children’s Yoga Books or the course hosts. Children’s Yoga Books is not responsible for any other associated costs (airline, hotel, etc). For information on registration in your area please call: 1-905-501-1927 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. I can’t make it to the training. Can I just purchase the curriculum, manual, and course material without taking the course?
Answer: Yes, some of the Modules now offer the course materials for purchase outside of the course. The following Teacher Training Materials are for sale, click these links for details:
• What I See, I Can Be Teacher Value Package
• Self Guided Teacher Training Modules
• The Frog Yoga Alphabet Cards
• Yoga Man vs. The Stressor: Yoga for Boys Teacher Training – Contact info@ChildrensYogaBooks.com
Q. Can you come to my city to offer the training? How can this happen?
Answer: Yes, we can bring the Young Yoga Masters Certification to you. A training typically requires a minimum of 8 students, but this amount changes based on expenses. Contact Janet about coming to your city to offer the course: email@example.com
Q. I am still not sure - Can I talk to someone?
Answer: Yes. we know that this can be confusing. We offer a free consultation to anyone with questions about Kids Yoga or considering taking Kids Yoga Teacher Training.
Give us an email to talk with Lead Trainer Janet at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-905-501-1927.
We will do our best to help you make the right decision for your situation.